yadacity hot news

Sunday, September 27, 2009

THE MANDALA MAKER needs a Gold Man


It's official now - THE MANDALA MAKER has its Academy-Award Qualifying screenings this Monday Sept. 28th through Wednesday Sept. 30th. THE MANDALA MAKER (34 minutes) will be shown in a block with other shorts each day at 3:30 and 6 p.m at ...the LAEMMLE GRAND 4-PLEX on 345 S. Figueroa in Los Angeles, 90071 - so ALL MY L.A. PEEPS and there are a lot of you - please get out and see it one day.

The film has honestly affected people in deep emotional ways, and I can only hope everyone reading this will feel the same if they make it to the theater ....

Again, THE MANDALA MAKER starring Courtney Hogan, Tony-Winner Terrence Mann, Daniel Roebuck of LOST, and Yangzom Brauen at the LAEMMLE GRAND 4-PLEX on 345 S. Figueroa in Los Angeles, 90071 this Monday-thru-Wednesday each day at 3:30 and 6 p.m.MAKER ...

Now for the Q&A:

Q:
Your film is burning up the film festival circuit---did you grease any
palms or is it just a good movie?

A: I won't even dignify that with a response - how much did you say again, was it $50 or $100?

Q:
What is your next project?
A:
There's been some talk of me directing several films for scripts that I did not write - one is a wonderful family film currently titled THE ULTIMATE PARTY, though the title would likely change, and another is a horror film called, SANCTUARY. I like both scripts very much, and both seem to have their money in place, so we'll see. I am also in the process of setting up several original projects, including a big-budget action franchise I wrote and created - and will direct - called NIGEL READ. Short of that, I have been mulling re-making either KING KONG or PSYCHO. No, wait a minute, that's been done already hasn't it?

Q:
What actor to you have on your dream list?

A:
That's actually a rather serious question for yadacity - do we know each other that well? Are we both at that comfortable stage yet? Ok - since I despise uncomfortable silences, I will jump in: I grew up as young child idolizing John Travolta. He was mostly Italian (and also Irish) and I am mostly Italian (and a quarter Polish - nice combo, right?). He came from the streets of New Jersey and I came from the streets of Staten Island, and I have really related with him. I've also felt he is one of the most talented - and resilient - actors of his time. The chance to work with him - he has also overcame several personal tragedies in his life, as well as reinventing his career more times than you can imagine - would be amazing. There are several other actors that are on my list including the British actor, Matthew Goode and Will Smith, obviously a huge A-list actor, as well, but his talent is well deserving of A-list status. He should have won an Oscar for THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS. In that film, he didn't act, but he literally became Chris Gardner. Anyone who has had money-problems totally felt like Will spent at least a weekend with them after seeing that film - . Lastly, but not leastly, I have had the pleasure to twice work with (on the independent feature REX and the aforementioned short THE MANDALA MAKER) a wonderful independent actress named Robin Phipps. She played one of the female leads, "Dee," in REX and was the inspiration behind the Naomi character in MANDALA. Even after an injury forced her out of action for the lead in the latter, I brought her on as an Associate Producer (her first producing credit) and she sang two songs, including the original title song, and she knows how very proud of her I am. Sometimes life takes you down strange paths, but I will say that when Robin and I are clicking, we have a synergy that is unmatched. Over the course of the two films we formed a strong bond that no matter how much it bends, truly cannot be broken.

Q:
Give Yadacity a Halloween Shout Out, please?

A:
HUGE Halloween shout-out to all Yadacity readers, and if you get the chance, go see CREATURE FEATURE: 50 YEARS OF THE GILL-MAN in some re-released theaters around that time. Now, who was that written and produced by again? What is that guy's name? He is a genius ....

No comments: