yadacity hot news

Thursday, April 8, 2010

UGLY BETTY and ABC are going.....


UGLY BETTY, based on the international sensation” Betty La Flea,” is coming to it’s U.S. end, on ABC with a classy bang.

This journey for the character Betty was, for me, life changing. Seriously. When my mother had her stroke and was found “non responsive and then moved to “intensive care,” also known as “any moment now,” I watched UGLY BETTY( on abc.com) over and over again.

This happened the night before Thanksgiving. My father passed on Halloween (a Gemini and I think it was a good date). Pre=thanksgiving has many layers to my story. Layer one, this is the only day that my mother, who had no -ability to cook was transported over night. She became a master in the kitchen. How? I do not know. Why, I might have an idea. But the: how,” is something even Penn and Teller could not figure out.

The turkey, perfect; succulent, a single cut and juices flowed like a waterfall, over the oyster dressing and roasted vegetables. How, I do not know?

The smell of the yams roasting in the heat. The aroma of the rich-rich-rich gravy that stood shoulder- to -shoulder with exotic lettuce, ripe tomoatoes, crimson onions and fresh ground pepper. These images, I will never forget. Yet, I still do not know how?

Did I mention the cheeses (mostly from Germany and France) displayed on a silver tray. Along the side in an oval dish, sausages and pickles.

And then there was more. There was always more. Broiled turnips, steamed veggies with lemon, sage, sea-salt and thyme.

And then there was more.

Roasted peppers from sweet to hot. Grilled onions, almost so filled they were going to fall lout of the pots. Roasted garlic. Olives in other silver trays.

And then there was more.

Fresh, homemade cranberry sauce just this side of sweet and just this side of spice.


MAC& CHEESE (NO WORDS) just smack your lips and remember the first time such a simple meal made you feel so good!

And there, there was more.

Home made corn bread and on the side ---butter! Home made biscuits with butter and honey on the side.!

Butter ruled that day. Ho sauce, oh come on now, that should be understood … what would a sweet life be without a touch of heat.

363 days y mother could, could not do this. 363 days, t was not possible and then the clocked turn and that day---her hands did not belong to her.

How? I do not know. Why? I think because she loved us. I think.

And in the end …. a sweet potatoes pie with crème cheese. Not just any pie. That pie.

I am convinced (and you can never change my mind) that sweet potatoes fairies came down and guided my mother’s hands. 363 days the ability was not there but on Thanksgiving (and maybe a few hours on Thanksgiving eve) she roasted into forever, in that day, she was legend.

No comments: